September 22, 2017
Copyright © KELLS - GRENNIE AMERICAN LEGION POST 316. All Rights Reserved.
Updated Charted issued on February 28, 1945
History Video of
Kells - Grennie Post 316
1919 - 2016
View thru You VIMEO
First Original Charter Issued On March 14, 1933
In 1939 the Post moved into there
own building in the
town of Oakwood.
When the Post began in 1919 the meetings were held at the Village Hall in the town of Stapleton
This Post came into existence in 1919 following the end of WW 1 and was named for Edward W. Kells who was killed in WWI.
Post 316 operated without a charter for twelve years.
On March 19, 1931 the Post received a temporary Charter.
On March 4, 1933 Post 316 received there regular charter and
became known as the Edward W. Kells American Legion Post 316.
From 1919 until 1937 the members held there meetings at the
Village Hall which was located on Canal Street in Stapleton.
In 1937 they moved into there meeting hall in Oakwood.
After WW II another names was added to the Post.
Richard A. Grennie who killed in WW II.
Duly approved at a constituted meeting and would now be known as the
Kells - Grennie Post 316 and was acknowledged at a meeting by the
American Legion Department of New York, held at
2750 Amboy Road, Staten Island New York on October 28, 1953.
Duly approved by the Judge Advocate of the American Legion
Department of New York on November 18, 1953
The First Commander was
George T. Wright
2016 will mark the last year that the Kells - Grennie Post 316
will be holding our meetings in this building.
Below is a copy of the letter about the sale of the
Kells - Grennie Post 316 Headquarters located at
2750 Amboy Road, Staten Island, NY 10306