​Joseph F. Merrell, Jr. Post 1368


Cpl. Stanley Cichon

​​

This Post came into existence in 1919 following the end of WW 1  and was named for Edward W. Kells who was killed in WWI. Post 316 operated without a charter for twelve years.On March 19, 1931 the Post received a temporary Charter.

On March 4, 1933 Post 316 received there regular charter and became known as the Edward W. Kells American Legion Post 316. From 1919 until 1937 the members held there meetings at the Village Hall which was located on Canal Street in Stapleton.


​In 1937 they moved into there meeting hall in Oakwood.

After WW II another names was added to the Post.Richard A. Grennie who killed in WW II. ​Duly approved at a constituted meeting and would now be known as theKells - Grennie Post  316 and was acknowledged at a meeting by the

American Legion Department of New York, held at 2750 Amboy Road, Staten Island New York on October 28, 1953.
Duly approved by the Judge Advocate of the American Legion  Department of New York on November 18, 1953

The First Commander was
George T. Wright​



Patrick J.  Dalessio Post 1310


The original HQ for Post 277 was located on Giffords Lane


Gold Star Post 1365


​Staats Circle

​ Hylan Boulevard and West Fingerboard Road


   Walker-Blafield-Yater Post 1056

​No Longer Exists



The Con Thien Memorial Post No. 1945 grew out of Incarcerated Veterans who
Formed a group called  " Veterans Self Help Program", in 1987. The Post gained its name from a Battle in the Vietnam War, " Battle For The Hill Of Angels "

in Southern  Vietnam. A total of 851 American Servicemen, the majority being
U.S. Marines , made the ultimate sacrifice for what they believed in.



Gold Star Post 1365 So named to honor 8 Gold Star families in the community of Travis in Staten Island, New York. Joseph M. Killimayer, William J. Kalita, Andrew R. Kovalsky, Anthony W. Deering, Michael P. Rogolewich, John S. Crabb, Frank H. Ball and Frank S. Tokarzewski lost their lives in World War II.



Five Star Post 1857

No Longer Exists


Former HQ of The Robert Merrell Jr. Post


Private Joseph F. Merrell, Jr.
Company I, 15th Infantry, US Army
Died April 18,1945 in Lohe. Germany.
Awarded the Medal of Honor for willingness to
 sacrifice his life so his comrades could go on to victory.
Harry S. Truman
“ Lest We Forget


 Dongan Hills WWII Memorial


Sgt. Patrick J. Dalessio U.S. Army 34th Infantry Division, 133rd Infantry Regiment He was killed in action during the invasion of Anzio, Italy in January 1944. His body is buried in Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, Nettuno, Italy. He was awarded the Purple Heart, Combat Infantry Badge, American Campaign Medal and WWII Victory Medal


Many Richmond County American Legion Posts have since given up their Charters

Many have given up on their former headquarters because of the cost of the upkeep

​Memories of the Past and Present

Former HQ of Post 316

Lodge - Pignata 1417

No Longer Exists


Kell - Grennie Post 316


​​​

​Huttner - Pasqualini Post 1367



Armfield – Kittrell Post 1272 


Herman Edwards

Last Known Post Commander

​No Longer Exists



For God and Country
Egbert Square
named in honor of
Arthur Stanley Egbert
Sea 2C USNRF
who died in the sinking of the
USS President Lincoln on May 31, 1918,

and dedicated to the men and women
of Port Richmond and Graniteville
who devotedly served their country
in the World War - 1917 - 1918.

​Erected by Arthur S. Egbert Post No. 95 of The American Legion.


The Post was located at Oregon Road & Old Town TRoad

Frederick Staats Post 577


Arthur Egbert Post 53


The Livingston Post 1369

​No Longer Exists


James J. Tappen 1891-1918 ) Served in Company D of the 308th Infantry Division of the U.S. Army during World War I. He was killed on September 29, 1918, at Binarville, France, in the Battle of Argonne

​In July 1934, a bill introduced by Alderman Daniel Leonard and signed by Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia (1882-1947) named this park in Tappen’s honor. 



Con Thien Memorial Post 1945

No Longer Exsts


Cespino - Russo  Post 1544


ERECTED AND AFFECTIONATELY INSCRIBED TO THE MEMORY OF THE HEROIC MEN AND WOMEN OF CONCORD, STATEN ISLAND, AS A TRIBUTE TO THE SELF SACRIFICING SPIRIT THAT THEY DISPLAYED IN THEIR COUNTRY'S SERVICE DURING THE MOMENTOUS YEARS OF 1941-1945 MAY GOD'S BLESSINGS REST UPON THEM FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT



Click on the name for more imformation

Patrick J. Dalessio Post1310.pdf



The James T. Tappen Post was at one time

located at

​730 Van Duzer Street




 Beauvais – Hudson Post 126



    Granito – Smith Post 1296

Commander Charles Navarino



The Slossom Post 53 was located at 1115 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY

is now a local restaurant called Blues, formally known as RS Tugs.

The members recently gave up their charter and combined their membership with the Robert Merrell Post No. 1368

​The Post was named in honor of Captain James Slosson,

Killed in Action on September 27, 1918.

While serving with the  Co E 105th Infantry 27th Division

​Somme American Cemetery and Memorial Bony, Departement de l'Aisne, Picardie, France



Beauvais-Hudson Monument  Post located at Page Ave. and S. Bridge St. Staten Island, NY


H & S Cichon  Post 1578

Watkins - Kellett Post 277

James Slosson Post 53

Former HQ of Post 126


​James Tappen Post 125


Copyright © KELLS - GRENNIE AMERICAN LEGION POST 316. All Rights Reserved.


​Staten Island Womens Post 1598

No Longer Exists